The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned. ~ Maya Angelou
I long, as does every human being, to be at home wherever I find myself. ~ Maya Angelou
A house is not a home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well as the body. ~Benjamin Franklin
I have often found myself wondering how to define home. For many years I pondered the age-old question of, “what makes a house a home?” That is, until I realized that a home does not need to be a dwelling of any sort. Home can be defined in a myriad of different ways. Today, I dedicate this blog to the definitions of home. Please feel free to add your definitions to the comments section.
- Home is a place where I feel safe
- Home is a place to lay my head at night
- My home is with my partner and children, no matter where in the world that may be
- My home is where my cats are
- Home is a place where friends and family feel nurtured and supported
- Home is a place where I can relax and escape
- Home is not a place that is conflict free, but a place where conflict can be addressed and resolved
- Home is a place where I can laugh until my stomach hurts and cry until my pain disappears
What does home mean to you?
Today, 289 days ’til 40, I am reminded how fortunate I am to have a real home, something many individuals in this world do not have. A poor person can have an amazing home and a rich person can find themselves without a true place to call home…. for one can be rich in family, love and friends but have little possession and a man can overflow with wealth but have no home at all. I am so very thankful for my home, my safe haven. It is not something I take for granted. It is my prayer, 289 days ’til 40, that throughout the world those who are crying out for loving homes will have their prayers answered.