“No amount of darkness can put out the light of a single candle.” ~ Author Unknown
Many of us have experienced dark moments in our lives. It is normal, common even. We have been disappointed, hurt, and have experienced great pain and betrayal. In those moments, it can feel as though the entire world is caving in on us. The world does not seem bright – it is dark, ugly, scary and excruciatingly miserable. There are many reasons we may experience the world this way. Perhaps you have had one of the following experiences:
- Loss of a job
- A sudden end to a relationship
- An abusive partner or other person in your life
- The death of someone close to you
- Income deterioration (and inability to pay expenses)
- Betrayal by a friend
- Strained collegial relationships
In the moments when you experience circumstances similar to those above, you may ask yourself if life is worth living. When everything seems so dark, it is hard to believe that life will get better. In those moments, it is important to remind ourselves of the following:
- Darkness will NOT consume you. While darkness is a very strong force, it cannot overtake you. Even the light of the smallest candle transforms the darkness. The darkness will not consume the light
- Every day is a new day – a chance at a new beginning for yourself, others and the way you relate to others
I find that when I am really feeling low it helps to remind myself of the fact that darkness cannot consume even the smallest light. Then, I think of areas in my life that shine light into the darkness. My cats purring, my daughters laughing, my work achievements. And I find, that as I focus on these things the darkness loses its power and isn’t so dark. By focusing on the positive things in my life, the “light” I am able to overpower the darkness.
On this day, 347 days ’til 40, I seek to remind myself continually of all of the light in my life. As I focus on the light, there is less opportunity for darkness to consume me.