In the world we live in today, it can sometimes be hard to find hope. Even when our lives are going well, we look around us and see unemployment, poverty, crime, and tremendous amounts of suffering world-wide.
I often like to take a moment and pause and remember all of the wonderful people and organizations who ARE making a difference in our world. We do not have to be dragged down by despair , we can find those moments to honor all those around us who are working to turn despair into delight, gloom into gladness.
Who are these amazing people who are helping to turn the desolate places in our world into castles of caring?
- Teachers – they put in hours and hours a day to educate our nation’s children – often struggling to pay for basic needs on their salaries, particularly if they are a single parent family.
- Nurses – often overworked because the hospitals are understaffed, they are the frontline for patient care, sometimes in very dire conditions.
- Doctors who volunteer their time, such as “Doctors Without Borders” – many use their skills above and beyond the call of duty – joining special missions to third world countries in order to provide medical care to those who would never have the resources to obtain it. It is amazing how much some people choose to give back.
- AmeriCorps Volunteers – these young people are giving their time to serve the country and assist in low- income schools and neighborhoods, often delaying the start of climbing their career ladders so that they can serve their fellow mankind – they are truly an inspiration.
- Peace Corps Volunteers – yes, they are stereotyped for being crazy hippies by some, but how amazing that they are willing to represent the USA by reaching out to serve people in developing countries – they serve as ambassadors of hope on a daily basis and they sacrifice so much to give – often placing their lives on hold for two years or more to make a huge impact on the lives of others.
If we take the time to look around us, we are inspired daily by individuals who give us the hope to believe in humankind. We really are capable of reaching out to each other in love and support.
Today, 325 days ’til 40, I will remember the good work of those around me. They are an inspiration and I strive to be able to offer my services in order to impact the lives of others. What an amazing gift it is to have the opportunity and privilege to assist someone in need.