This post is dedicated to all of you in cyberspace who have raised, are currently raising, or will soon be raising teenagers.
You know you have a teenager when:
- You say “goodnight” and get “grmphhh” in return.
- When your child fights with you over taking a shower, but douses themselves with all sorts of beauty products after they get out.
- They scream at you because they hate you, until they realize they need you and become cute and cuddly and loving again.
- You feel like you are walking around in a Jekyll and Hyde movie… never quite sure what you will get.
- Late nights are pleasant, but mornings are hell.
- Your coffee supply is dwindling much faster than it used to.
- Negotiations have moved from candy bars to automobiles.
- Your clothes are disappearing and are left on your teen’s floor.
- Your teen is large enough for you to make their clothing disappear, but you realize if you borrow their shirt you will not be able to wear it – it is so dirty it stands up on its own.
- Their iPhone needs to be surgically removed….. it has become an extra growth.
- After a week solid of fighting, you get a sweet card, a hug and an invitation to snuggle on the couch and watch a movie.
And….. when do you know if you have a teenager???? What would you add?
Today, 272 days ’til 40, I am thankful for my teenager. I will remind myself on the bad days that there are many more positive days than negative ones and it is all part of her learning and growing process as a child (and mine as a parent).