As I conclude this week, I want to give a special thank you to http://craftythriftydecoratingwifemom.wordpress.com/ for joining me on this week-long challenge to look at the carbon footprint we are all leaving on this world. It was such a joy reading your posts this week! I learned from you and you inspired me!
I have learned a lot this week, unfortunately these have been mostly painful lessons (but a couple of less painful ones as well!) I feel like this week has been very valuable because it is always important to take stock and honestly admit how our actions effect the world that we live in. This is what I discovered.
- I recycle some of my stuff, usually via donations
- My girls are somewhat aware of their impact on the environment
- I use a lot of plastic bottles, but they are recycled
- I realize I eat healthier than many people
- I am not more aware…..
- I use WAY too many plastic bottles
- Half of the items in our lunch boxes come in plastic (yogurt, etc.)
- Our energy consumption is too high, and mostly due to convenience or not bothering to choose to conserve (leaving lights on in multiple rooms simultaneously, etc.
I am lazy, I like to use disposables. If using a disposable plate means no washing dishes, I am thrilled to do so. I also eat WAY too much processed foods, which all come in unbelievable amounts of plastic wrappings. I could choose to NOT use disposable plates, forks, etc. and I could also choose to eat healthier foods that are fresh and not processed and packed in plastic.
Today, 250 days ’til 40, I realize that I must make a strong commitment to being a responsible global citizen. I can choose to reduce the negative, wasteful impact that my family has on our world. I can choose to work to reduce our carbon footprint. I hope you choose to work to tread lightly too.